Guestposts are basically content that you create to be posted on websites/blogs other than yours and have a backlink embedded in it which leads back to your website/blog.
September was the one year anniversary for my blog and I had a veritable list of bloggers who complied by doing guestposts for me all month; more than 15 guestposts on my blog in that month with 5 winners!! I was overjoyed with the amount of love and traffic my blog was inundated with, courtesy the guestposts.
My take away from that month can be summed up in these five points on why Guestposts are huge for your blog. By the way, it works both ways. You should not only invite others to write for you but also write for others as well. It’s a two-way street.
Guestposts are a fabulous way to make connections with a good community of skilled bloggers, thereby ensuring you have a great online network. When you write a post for another blogger, they will promote your post via social media accounts, garnering more eyeballs for your content while generating traffic for their blog.
Tip: While writing guestposts, select blogs on two criteria 1) Their reach 2) Aligns with your blogging niche (Travel / food / Lifestyle, etc)
Writing guestposts validates your credibility for writing about a particular subject/product/brand. It’s a great way to market yourself as an expert in a particular section; be it travel /food / lifestyle, etc. Brand strategists always look out for such validated writers and it could lead to some great assignments for well-known brands.
Tip: It’s very important to know your audience and align with the blog that best connects with it.
Guestposts are a great way to generate SEO traction for your blog as the back link in the post ensures that people know where to find you. So folks wanting to know more of your writing style will use it to land on your blog page. This is why its best to choose your blogging niche and align it well with the blogs you write for.
Tip: Ensure that your blog link is embedded in the guest post and at least one social media handle is incorporated too.
Writing guestposts is a great way to explore other genres of writing. You maybe a financial expert but yearn to write fiction for fun but don’t want to distort the content of your own blog – this is where a guest post comes in handy.
Tip: Do check the fiction section of the blogger you are writing for and discuss with them what kind of story you might want to come up with. (or whatever genre you are exploring)
Guestposts give you a connect to newer audiences and can increase your readers/subscribers. This is why you must make sure that you have chosen your niche, blog and writing content very carefully.
Tip: Do adhere to these 5 etiquettes of guestposting too
- Mark a link to the post from your blog. You could embed this link in any or your new posts as a suggestion to check out what you have written on so and so blog!
- Tweet share it periodically in the day and also continue for a few days to ensure some traction from your account.
- Share the link of this post on other social media accounts that you are active on; works good if you also tag the blogger you wrote for.
- Thank the blogger for the opportunity and reciprocate by requesting a guest post for your website too
- Do keep checking the guest post to respond to comments and study the traction generated by it.
In keeping with the spirit of guestposting, I am starting a blog hop on my blog for the month of December wherein I will have 30 bloggers participate in a month-long guestposting marathon. If you would like to join in, please do drop us a mail at email@example.com or mention in the comment section and I will send you the rules of engagement for it.
In a nutshell the blog hop will consist of:
- One GP to be written for my blog and one GP for one another blog, chosen randomly from the 30.
- In return you will get a GP from me and one other blogger, chosen randomly from the 30.
- Each of the 29/30 will read,comment and share your GP on twitter and one other social media account of your choice (provided they are on it)
- Your GP will contain a link to one blog post of yours that you feel needs to be read more; 29/30 will promote it via read/comment/share.
- Your GP will contain one ASK – it could be a SEO question / graphic help / something pertaining to blogging that you are struggling with which will be answered by some/all of the 29/30
- Your GP will contain one GIVE – maybe you are good at graphics and offer to design a blog header for someone out of the 29/30………
- You will read/comment/share all of the 29/30 the whole months as and when each blogger’s GP appears on my blog and also promote it on one other social media handle beside twitter.
- You need to ensure your twitter handle is enabled in your shareholics.
Bottomline of this blog hop is promote guestposts and get every blogger to do more for the other bloggers who will do the same for them.
Fingers crossed for getting 30 bloggers for this blog hop!
Guestposts on my blog in the past:
- Shilpa Gupte
- Prasanna from Mocktail Mommies
- Kohl Eyed Me
- Vasantha Vivek
- Esha Mookerjee-Datta
- Varsha Bagadia
- Saumy Nagyach
- Sanch Writes
- Neha Tambe
- Ruchi from Mocktail Mommies
- Twinkling Tina
- Anagha from Mocktail Mommies
- Dipika Singh
- Sreoshi Sinha
- Kashmira Mody
December 2017 Bloghop for the #guestposts from 28 bloggers for #mymojo #wordsante – catch all the action here: