Not just nutrition but food also provides comfort to all of us. At times of stress, guilt, heartbreak – we all seek solace in a jar of nutella or a tub of ice cream. We all have memories associated with our favourite foods and some quirky combinations that are unique to just us. I will share that and more here about five of my gourmet loves.
- Nutella & Marie Biscuits: This love came about as a default – someone gifted my cousin a jar of nutella (I didn’t know till then what it was) and she offloaded it to me as she wanted to avoid the calories. I was happy to get a jar of chocolate (that’s what it looked like to me) and got it home where I happily stuck a spoon in it and was instantly transported to gooey nirvana heaven. To make the jar last (and not have too many calories) I applied some on a Marie biscuit and knew then and there I had stuck a goldmine! Since then Marie and nutella sandwiches have been my favourite go-to sweets at the end of a meal.
- Hot Buttered Popcorn: This love has been there as a child when in winters, we would pop some in the pressure cooker to munch on while watching TV (chips were forbidden when I was growing up). As I grew up, I discovered I liked cheese, garlic, oregano and other spices into the popcorn with tonnes of butter to make it just mmmmm.
- Cooked Spinach: I wasnt a Popeye fan, so can’t claim that he made me fond of spinach but fond I am. I simply love this leafy veggie and can’t get enough of it. I love to have spinach n paneer (palak paneer), spinach paranthas/puris, spinach-moong dal, spinach-kadhi, spinach-corn bake…. The list is endless! If you have a favourite recipe for spinach that’s not mentioned here, pls do tell me – I will be eternally grateful.
- Cream Cracker Biscuit: Growing up in the 70s I have fond memories of metal tins of biscuits like Bourbon and Cream cracker. I used to love the latter with some butter on it and then sprinkle some sugar – yeah call it weird but I would love it. To date its one of my comfort foods and my favourite biscuits. I love it with grated cheese and chilli flakes / tiny chopped pcs of tomatoes-onions, sprinkled with salt and pepper or just plain with butter.
- Cheese: I was hooked onto Kraft cheese that my dad used to get tins of from the canteen. I would sneak into the fridge to cut myself a piece whenever I could. Growing up, I developed a taste for other varieties and I appreciate and rate the buffet breakfasts in good hotels by their cheese spread. I have to say the best one so far has been at the Taj Lake Palace hotel, Udaipur where the variety was mind-boggling. And yes I love the pungent blue cheese too though I havent been near the maggot infested ones…. yet.
Food is what binds all of us together; what are your thoughts on this? Any favourite foods to share here?
Linking up this post for Day #14 of the Ultimate Blog Challenge
This post has been written in response to the prompt 10 day YOU challenge
Passionate about everything design, I am in love with photography, travel and baking. My writing journey was initiated with my letter writing hobby as a child and has metamorphosised into serious blogging. I indulge with reading fantasy fiction, day dreaming and sipping good wine.